Friday 15 December 2017

A drop of water

Since my last post we have had a few more rainy spells and at long last a trickle of water is beginning to return to the reserve. Take the ditch below, photographed a month or so ago.....

....and how it looked this morning from a slightly different angle. It's only an inch or two of water and several other previously dry ditches are beginning to look the same - it may not be the feet of water needed but it's start.

While on the reserve this morning, under dark skies and a bitter and strengthening N. wind, I watched a Merlin hunting. Out over the saltings it flushed what looked like a Skylark and gave chase. The frantic Skylark rose up in to the air before plummeting downwards on several occasions, all the time being harassed by the Merlin making stoops at very fast speeds. If only the poor Lark would of landed in the vegetation it would of survived OK but it continued to keep flying up and eventually the Merlin snatched it and took it away to eat.
My rear garden, with it's canary aviary to one side, is not all that huge and this autumn I have spent a lot of time stripping out bushes in particular that had become very overgrown and were providing little for wildlife.  (Now that the large shrubs have gone the area at the top of the garden is bigger than it looks in the photo.) It looks a tad bare now but I have already begun planting plants that will cover the fences over the ensuing years, plants that will provide food and interest to insects of all kind. The same will apply to and bare areas in the borders, most things that I plant have to attract and feed bees and butterflies, etc., I'd rather plant wild flowers or some weeds, than pretty flowers that give back very little. Hopefully next summer I can post photos of it looking full and colourful.


5 comments:

  1. Good to see some water in your ditches. When we lived in Georgia, we did our back garden entirely in native plants - Black eyed Susan, Liatris, Cardinal Flower, 8 fern species, Aesclepias, Columbine, Azaleas, Hydrangeas, and lots more that I can't remember. Native plants thrive with minimal care and are good for local wildlife. We only lived in that house for 8 or 9 years, but we loved that garden. Now, 25 years later, I wonder if it still has any of those plants left in it. You have a very satisfying project ahead of you and I am sure it will be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can get it to look as good as your last garden in America Wilma, I'll be well pleased

    ReplyDelete
  3. I applaud your garden project Derek. I didn't know that you kept canaries but I am aware that Kent once had a few coal mines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My canaries have bugger all to do with coal mines YP, I also don't keep pit ponies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't "keep" pit ponies then what do you do to them?

      By the way, may I request a blogpost about keeping canaries. How you got into it and the pleasure this hobby gives you etc..

      Delete