Tuesday 30 January 2018

Another Month

Well another month has almost gone by and we're getting closer to Spring by the day, and if nothing else, the evenings are very slowly getting lighter, such an exciting event to us outside type people. I was reminded today by a good blogging friend from the Yorkshire Dales that I haven't posted anything recently, she's right and so this is an attempt to address that fact.

I was outraged today when I read a columnist's article in my Daily Telegraph that brought to our attention that a professor from Cardiff University had suggested that not only was Kenneth Grahame secretly gay, but that if you read between the lines, his famous book and my all time favourite, Wind in the Willows, had numerous gay suggestions in it. One suggestion was that the Badger was an opportunist with a predilection for inter-species orgies, "well it's time were all in bed", he says to Mole and Rat, who then "tumbled in between the sheets in great joy and contentment". It was bad enough when they started banning Enid Blyton books because she spoke of coloured people and people with big ears but to pick on my all time favourite book, I'll have none of it - leave children's books for children to read in all innocence, not for adults with strange minds to dissect and to suggest perverted meanings. When you have a mind like that, my writing that I had a sausage for dinner last could easily be interpreted as me saying that I had oral sex - such weird people.

What of the reserve, well it's wetter and thanks to the cattle before they were taken off a few weeks ago, for a couple of months calving at the stock yards, it's bloody muddy in places. Have the ditches any water in now, yes they have, but only a couple of inches, we're not talking flooding or anything like it and so, still few waders and wildfowl are being attracted. Having said that, last week saw the return of around 150 White-fronted Geese to the reserve, drawn in by the daily, resident flock of Greylag Geese. These true wild geese from Northern Europe always attract attention from birdwatchers, but especially the wildfowlers, who see them as real and wild quarry. All the geese return to the neighbouring farmland each night to roost but with both the game shooting and wildfowl shooting seasons ending there in two days time, the pressures on the geese will decrease.All that will be left will be the wildfowling that continues below the high water mark the other side of the sea wall until the 20th February. I gave two wildfowlers permission this morning to come onto the reserve, minus their guns, to search for a Greylag Goose that one had shot and was seen to fall somewhere on the reserve. Between the three of us we eventually found it, dead, and it was therefore a bird that would be eaten and not wasted.
Today has been a superb day. It began with a moderate frost and the turned sunny with blue skies and stayed that was all day, almost Springlike at times, so much so that I had a first Bumblebee in the garden this afternoon.


11 comments:

  1. The folly of trying to impose today's moral high ground on yesteryear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactky Steve, what is the point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt exactly the same about the suggestions about Wind in the Willows. It is all so stupid - they'll start on Noddy next.
    Derek - have you ever eaten wild goose? I ask because the farmer always used to say that wild geese who migrated in Winter did so much flying that they were too muscular to eat and were far too tough.
    Nice to see you blogging again

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, have never eaten any type of goose Pat, not for ant moral reason, just never have. I'll ask the wildfowlers about the Farmer's suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Derek, I fear yet another manifestation of our politically correct, obsessed, educational elite, society who seek to imply and impose their corrupt slant on life upon the "ordinary guy". As Steve quite rightly says - "Folly!"
    I've eaten goose, on a number of occasions. Always shot, not farmed. The Canadas and Greylags were shot along the M1 corridor chain of gravel pits around Milton Keynes - very tasty. I have eaten Pink-foot once, a bird shot in Scotland (Perthshire ?) and I have to say that it wasn't that brilliant, although probably an adult, so rather tough. Young birds are supposedly better eating?
    All the best - Dyl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dylan, I guess it makes sense that the younger the bird the more tender it's going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to hear that things are looking up on your reserve.

    There is a social media rumour on The Isle of Sheppey that you are fond of toad in the hole followed by spotted dick and cream. Please say it's not true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Used to be the case YP but I haven't enjoyed such pleasures for many a long year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rat and Mole have always seemed like such a cozy couple to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The whole book has to be approached with the right frame of mind Shawn, like any other. It captivated me in childhood and I still enjoy reading it now I'm 70.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing valuable information nice post,I enjoyed reading this post.

    หนังสืบสวน

    ReplyDelete