Monday 12 March 2018

Water, Water.

Today is another thoroughly wet and chilly day and is forecast to remain so all day. I got a thorough soaking this morning on the reserve going down there to put the big diesel pump on that we use to pump water from the ditch system onto The Flood Field and two neighbouring fields. This is pretty much the first time that the ditches have been full enough to do this for two years and we now have those fields looking as part flooded as we would expect at this time of the year.
All in all, I can confidently say that the reserve's two year drought is now well and truly over, ditches and fleets are full, the grazing marsh is water-logged and we now have some mini-flood areas, it looks perfect - dare I say it, this close to the breeding season for ground nesting birds, we don't really need a whole lot more rain - gawd, did I really say that after all my dry weather whinging!
Last week, just a day after the ice in my garden pond thawed out, I got up in the morning to find that the frogs had clearly come out of hibernation and left some clumps of spawn behind. I still haven't seen the frogs but hopefully the spawn will survive OK and for the first time ever, the tadpoles should avoid the hungry mouths of the goldfish that ate them in great numbers. At last it seems, the local Herons have done me a huge favour over the last couple of years and ate every last goldfish after my attempts at catching them proved fruitless.

8 comments:

  1. Such a difference now, Derek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly is Wilma, it has surprised me how quick it has happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photo of spawn Derek.
    So pleased that the reserve is now able to return to normal after the awful drought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the many things I miss in our move to the coast is leaving my wildlife garden behind. The people who bought our cottage have phoned to say the pond is heaving with randy frogs, the noise is deafening and a good time is being had by all. So I guess as last year there will be frogs spawn from one side to t’other! I do miss my garden, the sea as wonderful as it is comes a poor second. How ungrateful does that sound?

    LX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lettice, it sounds like someone who has left a much loved garden behind, exactly the comments that I would make if I ever left my little haven behind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the spawn will be OK with frost forecast for the weekend. Am I right in thinking that frogspawn sinks if it gets cold, or am I dreaming?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny you should say that Colin, it is now a lot lower in the water and almost under it, so hopefully much of it will survive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Acqua alta! Soon be like a desert in bloom ;-)

    ReplyDelete