Friday 2 August 2019

Times Move On

I feel a bit awkward posting a photograph like the one below, bearing in mind the damage that the heavy rains have caused to both farmers and households in Northern England but this blog is about the local scene.


Here on Sheppey all the farmland is very dry and the harvest has been very successful due to pretty much perfect weather conditions. Once all the bales of wheat, barley and rape straw have been collected and stored, then various tidying up and light cultivating of the fields will take place. Rape is normally sown first, in between the lines of wheat stubble, followed by the wheat or barley further in to the autumn, but neither is likely to germinate given the dryness of the soil.
The next couple of weeks will see the arrival of the partridge and pheasant poults ahead of the game shooting season, which for partridges, starts next month. It all seems a bit early given the warm and sunny weather that we are experiencing, most forms of shooting one tends to associate with cold winter days and besides the poults will need time to grow into adult birds.
On the reserve, the last couple of days have seen the continuation of the early autumn migration with the first Wheatears passing through on their way south. So it may be only late summer but an autumnal feel is beginning to gather in the wings.

5 comments:

  1. I always feel that August heralds the start of Autumn up here - and now to hear of wheatears moving South - yes - it is definitely on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I walked the dog here, in Ashford, Kent, this early morning I sniffed the air and sensed a whiff of Autumn. Summer is on the turn, Derek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, unfortunately, it does have that feel about it although in recent years Autumn has tended to last until the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello I want to share my amazing experience with the greatest spell caster called Prophet Abulele my husband was cheating on me and when I found out we had a fight which lead to him requesting for a divorce I cried and fell sick when I was searching about love quotes online I saw people talking about him and his great work whose case was similar to mine they left his contact info I contacted him and he told me not to worry that after 24hrs he will cancel the divorce and be back to me after i did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise the next day evening it was my husband he knelt down begging me to accept him back, thank you once again Prophet Abulele you are indeed a blessing to me. If you are out there looking for his help you can reach him for easy communication on Whatsapp +2349022406159 or email him via his email prophetabulelehealingtemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete