Wednesday 6 April 2011

What a lovely day

(Double click on the photos and enlarge them and bring them to life)

My day today began at first light with a Willow Warbler singing in my neighbour's garden, a great start.
Not really much to report from the reserve, other than what a glorious day. I was down there for two hours yesterday morning and got both soaked and cold in the wind and the rain, today was very warm and sunny. It was one of those days where even if you don't see much special it was just a privilege to be there.
The best birds today out there were two Wheatears and a Willow Warbler and once again a backdrop of the mournful cries of the Peacocks.
Lapwings have got off to a slow start this year and so far breeding pairs seem to be well down on the previous couple of years, although its still early days yet but there are few with eggs either.
I posted a picture of the Milkweed plants a few weeks ago and this picture shows that they are beginning to put on growth and will eventualy get up to about 3-4 feet in height.


I came across this Marsh frog having a sunbathe, he didn't think I could see him but obviously I could, it seems surprising that a creature that relies on being wet and slippery enjoys sitting out in the sun.


Going back through the entrance copse I stopped to listen to my favourite finch song, that of the Chaffinch, what a lovely sound that is. While there I noticed that one of four nest boxes that I had put in there had got a pair of Blue Tits nesting in it. I never managed to get an adult coming and going but here is the box.


And lastly, the Corn Bunting flock along the Harty Road had decreased this morning from 42 on Monday to just 2 today, here is one of them looking down on me from the overhead wires along the road.

1 comment:

  1. It certainly was a lovely day and very welcome.

    Lovely to see the Corn Bunting.

    ReplyDelete