Tuesday 20 August 2019

A Kind of Goodbye

"This day winding down now
At God speeded summer's end
In the torrent salmon sun,
In my seashaken house
On a breakneck of rocks
Tangled with chirrup and fruit,
Froth, flute, fin and quill
At a wood's dancing hoof,
By scummed, starfish sands
With their fishwife cross
Gulls, pipers, cockles and sails"................Prologue - Dylan Thomas

The above, the last stand-alone poem written by Thomas, a year before he died, could when you read  throughout it's whole length, be seen as a kind of goodbye to all that, sort of poem. It pretty much sums up the way I feel these days.

Here on Sheppey, our little island off the North Kent coast, there are not many of us aged, in our 70's, "men of the countryside" left. By that I mean people who have spent their whole life wandering the fields, hedgerows and marshes of this island, and as a result have memories of its wildlife, it's seasons and it's people that go back a lifetime. When I was a youngster there were always those old boys that wandered the countryside, that drank from a bottle of cold tea, that always knew where wildlife had hidden up, that could kill, skin and gut a rabbit in minutes, or look at the sky and always seem to know when it was going to rain.
I can only think of a few of us now of that ilk, that are left round here. I'm not trying to portray myself as some kind of modern day Jack Hargreaves, far from it, but it's rare these days to come across someone else that you know who has been wandering the area for so many years. A lifelong friend of mine, who I first worked with on the Kent River Authority on Sheppey's marshes here in the 1960's is another such person. He's a couple of years older me and has a store of knowledge and skills that you just can't buy, that come with a lifetime's experience. We still coax our arthritic limbs round the fields each day, still always have a dog at our side and now despair at some of the changes that continue to occur. Who for instance would of expected to see so many empty rabbit warrens. We could never have imagined that in our lifetime, rabbits, that once were counted in thousands, would now only be counted in dozens.

For me, it begun as a young boy in the 1950's, keeping tadpoles in an old sink in the garden and watching them turn into frogs. Keeping the very common Small Tortoiseshell caterpillars in a sweet jar with muslin on the top, feeding them on stinging nettles and watching them pupate. Now Small Tortoiseshell butterflies are very hard to find, almost rare. As a young child I wandered the marshes near me, all alone - laid besides ditches, clambered through bushes and learnt what I could about wildlife. When I joined the Kent River Authority as a teenager I found myself among several people who fished, hunted, shot and trapped, and I learnt a lot about countryside ways. When I left to work in the local docks for the next 34 years, I still carried on practising those skills. A friend and I spent the cold, wet and wintry months for many years catching rabbits which we would skin and gut and sell for pocket money. During the summer months we netted the ditches and caught eels, often lots of eels, and sold them to a shop in the East End of London and then later, I even tried duck shooting for one winter. Then I became involved with the local nature reserves and my bird watching became more serious and so did my convictions.
 I still roamed the marshes with my dogs(s) in the usual unrestricted ways but I had a purpose, I recorded everything I saw and passed it on. In 1987 I became a Voluntary Warden of a local, Natural England reserve on the marshes and still am 32 years later. As a result and for many years, I was very anti shooting and hunting, fell in with the mind set that if you are a bird watcher or to do with conservation, then you automatically have to be opposed to such things. However, a number of years ago a wildfowler began to make me realise that many of the things that I was opposed to had their rightful place in the countryside and in many ways helped preserve what is left of it. I began to realise that there was and should be, room for all of the various pursuits in the countryside, after all, it was how I had begun, not with the blinkered and idiotic Chris Packham views about hunting and shooting.
So, I'm ending my time in the countryside as simply a "man of the countryside", enjoying being part of it and all that goes on it, and as my friend often says, we should be glad that we're the age that we are - we've had the best of it and won't have many more years to see it get any worse.
And that is about it.

15 comments:

  1. I so agree Derek and so did David. Before he died he counted the number of folk in the village who had actually been born there amd it was only just into double figures. I had my first eighteen years in Lincolnshire and then never lived deep in the country again until I retired to North Yorkshire but it was like coming home. I am a country girl at heart and am saddened by so many of the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you agree Pat, although I'm that bit younger than you, we have seen the best of it all, the countryside is getting smaller and those railing against countryside ways are getting greater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful read that made Derek. So much in it to think about. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's me, Bryan B, in that last post Derek, maybe I'm a countryman at heart, as I still can't get the hang of all this modern technology! Bryan B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spent all my boyhood in a Kentish country village (Mereworth). My grandfather worked on a local farm all his life as "horseman" and I have happy memories of riding beside him on the cart as "Duke" jogged leisurely along (this was during WW2 when tractors and their drivers were in short supply). I am now 80 and revisited the village recently after many decades. All changed, many more houses, but no shops (we had 3 once) and no pubs (once there were 5). No names left I remembered, no one remembered me or my family. I guess memories are best enjoyed "rose tinted"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couldn't agree more Avus. I'm fortunate that at least the southern half of Sheppey remains pretty much as it was in my childhood, thanks totally to three large nature reserves that mostly manage to retain the old character. Pubs are the biggest missing item here and what few that are left have little of the old charm about them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spent much of my childhood observing critters much the same as you - in ditches, fields, bogs, etc. Thank you for the read. Well told.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Casey, nice to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nice post Derek. Everything around is changing rapidly and the countryside is fast disappearing under new houses and roads. But few of the new developments are communities as there are no centres like the shops and pubs were years ago. As Avus says rose tinted is the best way, but at least at our age we have experienced it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A reflective post and one with sadness tinged with anger about changes in the countryside. Long may you continue to share your thoughts with your readers. Perhaps a few more words from Dylan Thomas...Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the sadness at the onset of his father's death.

      Delete
  11. This is a thoughtful post, and I can relate as I am about your age and love nature, whether here in the USA or in your land. Right now I am concerned about the elephants dying of thirst in the drought in Zimbabwe; it is always something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello I want to share my amazing experience with the greatest spell caster called Prophet Abulele my husband was cheating on me and when I found out we had a fight which lead to him requesting for a divorce I cried and fell sick when I was searching about love quotes online I saw people talking about him and his great work whose case was similar to mine they left his contact info I contacted him and he told me not to worry that after 24hrs he will cancel the divorce and be back to me after i did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise the next day evening it was my husband he knelt down begging me to accept him back, thank you once again Prophet Abulele you are indeed a blessing to me. If you are out there looking for his help you can reach him for easy communication on Whatsapp +2349022406159 or email him via his email prophetabulelehealingtemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete
  14. My life is back!!! After 1 years of Broken marriage, my husband left me with two kids . I felt like my life was about to end I almost committed suicide, I was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to a spell caster called Dr Mark, which I met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet,I came across a lot of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. I also came across one particular testimony,it was about a woman called Alandre,she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days, and at the end of her testimony she dropped Dr Mark e-mail address. blessedlovetemple@gmail.com After reading all these,I decided to give it a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 48 hours, my husband came back to me. We solved our issues, and we are even happier than before. Dr Mark is really a gifted man and I will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man... If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve all your problems for you. Try blessedlovetemple@gmail.com anytime, he might be the answer to your problems

    ReplyDelete