Thursday 21 December 2017

The Shortest Day

Today is the Shortest Day and boy, is it doing it's darnest to prove it. Today is the second of two really damp, low cloud, misty and drizzly days when the best that could be said of the daylight is that we've had eight hours of twilight and the best description of it is Dank! Everywhere and everything is wet, the roads are wet and mucky and as a result my car looks like it has been used for rallying, it is so filthy, the garden is wet and muddy and even the walls inside my garage are wet. What a difference from the beautiful, dry, bright and frost day featured in my last posting. Gawd, this next couple of weeks can't rush by fast enough, goodbye Christmas, welcome New Year and the increasingly longer days.
And talking about Christmas, this year, possibly because I'm reading more blogs, although it's in the media as well, I've been driven nuts by people who seem unable to accept that some people actually dislike Christmas and even harder to understand, that people don't have some kind of medical or mental condition because they actually enjoy being on their own on Christmas Day. Long periods of my adult life have been spent on my own over Christmas, yes, I have gone out to Christmas dinner at people's houses  but it's such a joy to speed off home as soon as possible and simply shut the door and be on my own.
There is so much falseness about Christmas these days, so much expense, so much debt, so much one-up-man-ness, so much guff about the need to be together, so little religion and the simplicity that Christmas started as years ago. There are also the once a year Christians, who go to Christmas Eve Mass and tell all their friends about how they're doing all the right things  On a phone-in on the radio this morning there was a whole feature about the quest for, and finding, the latest must-have and expensive toys and some parents stressing out about not finding said toys for their spoilt little darlings. Is that Christmas, I'm so glad that I dislike it and shun it and so amused that people find me odd.

14 comments:

  1. No, not odd Derek, just aware of the hype, hypocrisy and lack of contact with what really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You spelt it out well Steve, but this time of the year for me basically means, darkness, cold and damp and I hate it, sod all the family love-ins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not much different here Derek. Raining all the grey day. And they can't be bothered to clean the grit off all the footpaths, the tons of grit the sons of the people who rule the world put down two weeks ago when we had nearly two centimeters of snow. The grit is very uncomfortable to walk on. Not to mention unsightly. And you breath the grit dust when thew wind blows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gritting here has also been the cause of a lot of the muck on the roads and pavements as well Gwil. Couldn't believe how much they were putting down on bone dry roads.

      Delete
  4. I am spending the day itself with three friends - we are all on our own. Boxing Day I have a houseful of grandchildren I haven't seen for a while, so am looking forward to that. But I do agree about what you say Derek. Most years I would happily spend it alone - maybe not this year though - too near to my farmer going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last comment surprised me Pat, I had rather formed the opinion that you was like most people and only felt comfortable in a partnership.

      Delete
  5. Bah Humbug!! Do agree though. Some people seem to think that anyone who doesn't put up enough lights to drain the grid or spend 000's is weird. I do like to spend Xmas with family though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping it sweet and simple with family is presumably how it should be Colin, it's all the other crap that goes with it these days - so much debt for one day.

      Delete
  6. Derek - I detest the consumerism of Christmas also and fully understand your feelings. Although I do love to be with my extended family anytime, Christmas or not, Dennis and I are very happy to be on our own for the holiday - in fact we have been somewhat gleeful about it for the past 6 Christmases we have been in Belize. We will prepare a nice dinner (duck this year, with potatoes, spinach, and an almond pear tart). The presents we give to each other and to family will all be donations to the organizations of the recipients' choice (Belize Bird Rescue for me and Dennis). We are fortunate that we don't have a TV or radio, making it easy to avoid the endless ads and relentless music. Not sure I would enjoy being entirely by myself, but that would still be preferable to many alternatives! Wishing you full ditches and sunny days! Cheers, Wilma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Christmas sounds just great Wilma and I especially love the presents idea, just right!
      Best of all is your very last comment, I just loved that. xx

      Delete
  7. Sorry mate - a bit late off the grid, but that's work for you? As a child, in the 60's, Christmas was about family and being together. In 2017, it means little more than a spending frenzy! Family ties and any possible link to the original christian festival have been long forgotten in the quest for another dollar.
    I'm 100% in agreement with you on this one - Merry Christmas - Dyl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comments Dylan, I rather suspected we's be singing from the same hymn sheet. Tight lines, as they used to say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Each to his own really Derek. I have quite a few friends who are alone and looking forward to shutting the door and enjoying the peace and quiet. On the other hand I have family near at hand (some of them down from Glasgow) so am looking forward to entertaining them on Boxing Day - probably the last Boxing Day when I shall be strong enough to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing wrong with what you intend Pat and good for you, but unlike you, some people still try to convince me that I don't really want to be on my own - how can they know that.

    ReplyDelete